Saturday, April 11, 2009

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire than can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a moral sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final installment of the New York Times bestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments. (taken from inside flap)

Wow! City of Glass was the perfect ending to a perfect trilogy! The book continued right from where City of Ashes left off, and the excitement and action did not stop until the final pages of the epilogue. You rarely find a book that ties up all the loose ends in a series, while also leaving teeny tiny things open so there is still some mystery as to how things turn out. But that is exactly what City of Glass did. I actually predicted part of the ending, and everything turned out how I wanted it to, which is another thing that rarely happens. Cassandra Clare continues to do a lovely job of writing; there were just enough details and descriptions, but not too much, the characters developed even further, Jace's sarcasm was spot on (another reason why I love these books). I really liked reading about the City of Glass, which is the magical home of the Shadowhunters. It's the first time the reader has been there, so it was really cool to visit a place that the characters have been talking about for two books. I would call The Mortal Instruments trilogy books for those who don't like fantasy, because I myself am not a big fan of fantasy, but I loved these books. I thought that City of Glass was perfect in every way, and that's why it gets a perfect score (and the first 10 out of 10 on Simply Books!).

10 out of 10.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really need to read this one. Good review!

Jen said...

It really was perfect!

Great review <3

prophecygirl said...

I agree with your 10/10! Amazing book. I liked that it had some loose ends... I'm hoping CC may revisit these characters one day.

Unknown said...

I haven't started these yet. I have the first, so I should probably get on it!

Moira said...

Oh I am super excited to read this review! I can't wait. I actually just bought book one of this series yesterday, and you have just bumped it up my reading list.