Friday, February 12, 2010

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. How she takes up the post of governess at Thornfield Hall, meets and loves Mr. Rochester and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage are elements in a story that trascends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than that traditionally accorded to her sex in Victorian society. (Taken from back cover)

I had to read Jane Eyre for school and I, suprisingly, loved it. My class has about fifteen people in it, and I have a feeling that I'm going to be the only one who actually read the book (not counting a girl who already read it). And I think that's a shame because I really enjoyed it. Yes, Jane Eyre is long (502 pages) and the writing is at times thick with unnecessary detail, but the characters and plot make the read worthwhile. I especially liked Jane. She wasn't annoying and didn't really have any big faults that bothered me. By the way Charlotte Bronte wrote her, she could have been a real person. There is a bit of a mystery in the story and that kept me reading to find out what happened next. Even though Jane Eyre is very long and is sometimes slow reading, I thought it was an excellent book. If you have to read this for school, please give it a chance!

8 out of 10.

1 comment:

Robby said...

I've always always wanted to read this book. Lovely review. :]