Friday, July 27, 2012

I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert

Summary:
Congratulations -- just by opening the cover of this book you became 25% more patriotic.

From Stephen Colbert, the host of television's highest-rated punditry show The Colbert Report, comes the book to fill the other 23 hours of your day. I Am America (and So Can You!) contains all of the opinions that Stephen doesn't have time to shoehorn into his nightly broadcast.

Dictated directly into a microcassette recorder over a three-day weekend, this book contains Stephen's most deeply held knee-jerk beliefs on The American Family, Race, Religion, Sex, Sports, and many more topics, conveniently arranged in chapter form.

Always controversial and outspoken, Stephen addresses why Hollywood is destroying America by inches, why evolution is a fraud, and why the elderly should be harnessed to millstones.

You may not agree with everything Stephen says, but at the very least, you'll understand that your differing opinion is wrong.

I Am America (and So Can You!) showcases Stephen Colbert at his most eloquent and impassioned. He is an unrelenting fighter for the soul of America, and in this book he fights the good fight for the traditional values that have served this country so well for so long. (from GoodReads)

Review:
I love Stephen Colbert and his show The Colbert Report. Like, I'm seriously in love. I even got to see a taping of his show a month ago and it was awesome!!! So it was a no-brainer that I would adore his first novel, which I did.

Everything Stephen says and does is satirical, which makes his comedy that much smarter and funnier. It can be hard to get his jokes sometimes, but overall I think he's hilarious. What I liked so much about I Am America is that I could hear Stephen talking (no, I wasn't listening to the audiobook). This book is written just as Stephen talks on his show every night, so that was pretty cool.

Like the summary suggests, I Am America is just full of Stephen's opinions on important things in American culture: religion, science, education, etc. It even includes a full transcript of Stephen's (yes, we're on a first name basis) 2006 White House Correspondent's Dinner speech. If you've never seen that, watch it online - it's so funny.

Overall, I really enjoyed I Am America and I think fans of the show will love it too!

Rating: 9 out of 10.
FTC: borrowed from library (but I wish I had my own copy)

2007/Grand Central Publishing/230 pages.

No comments: