Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - 42

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers who like making lists about books.

Top Ten Most Vivid Worlds/Settings in Books

1. Panem in The Hunger Games
This is one of my favorite dystopias and part of the reason is that the world building is so incredible. In a lot of dystopias the background to how everything happened is usually not elaborated upon, but in this trilogy everything makes sense.

2. The Seven Kingdoms in A Song of Ice and Fire
George R.R. Martin's books are extremely detailed, so it feels as though the world he created is real. I cannot even believe someone has the imagination to create Westeros and the Free Cities and the rest of the places, customs, and cultures in this series.

3. The Magical World in Harry Potter
This was one of the first fantasy books I've ever read and was amazed by J.K. Rowlings's creativity. I want to go to Hogwarts!

4. The Future World in Uglies
Scott Westerfeld's novel is the first dystopia I read back in 7th grade, and I've been in love since. His world (which doesn't have a name that I know of) is very futuristic but also believable.

5. The Realm in A Great and Terrible Beauty
This book has the honor of being both fantasy and historical fiction, and Libba Bray has created two beautiful settings for each genre.

6. The South in Gone With the Wind
When I first read GWtW, I felt like I was at the plantation with Scarlett and felt her fear as the Yankees stormed Atlanta. A very atmospheric read!

7. Idris in The Mortal Instruments
Cassandra Clare's first series is contemporary fantasy, so it takes place in our world, but she did creat the fictional city of Idris. I think that counts as a vivid setting.

8. Paris in Anna and the French Kiss
This book made me want to visit France even more than I already did!

9. Austenland in Austenland
I would love to stay in an old manor and wear pretty dresses and pretend I was living as Jane Austen did (as long as we had indoor plumbing).

10. Bayern in The Goose Girl
Shannon Hale created a whole magical world in her series. I can't believe I haven't read the last one yet!


No comments: