Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Likely Story by David Van Etten

Mallory's life feels like it should be a TV show: her mother's an actress on a popular soap opera and her boyfriend won't break up with his girlfriend. Mallory needs less drama in her life, not more. So when she writes her own soap opera, entitled Likely Story, she wants it to be about real people with real problems. However, this seems to cause more catastrophes. Her mother is now jealous, she needs to get her best friend the lead on the show, and she thinks she might be falling for the lead male actor. What's a girl to do?

The best way I can describe this book is that it was okay. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, either. The plot was interesting; not many normal teenagers have a semi- famous mother, although this made it slightly hard to relate to Mallory. She is a likable character, though her moral compass might be spinning in the wrong direction. For example, she has a boyfriend that already has a girlfriend, which makes me think that she doesn't respect herself. However, this book is part of a series, so hopefully the rest will be better.

5 out of 10

1 comment:

asdfjkl; said...

Hi! I totally agree with your review, my was pretty much the same. I also have a blog (I have only had one for like a month though so far).

It is www.inthecurrent.blogspot.com.

Again, I like your reviews and I found out about your blog through your randombuzz post.

TheBookworm