Thursday, September 11, 2008

Eva Underground by Dandi Daley Mackall

Eva Lott is a normal teenager in the late 1970's. She has an awesome boyfriend, is on the varsity swim team, and it's her senior year of high school. But when Eva's father wants her to move to Communist Poland to aid a radical underground movement, she becomes a not-so-normal teenager. While there, Eva plots to get back to the United States, but something happens. It seems that Poland has grown on her, despite the cold baths and unappetizing food she has to endure. As her friendship with Tomek, the handsome translator, blossoms, Eva comes to embrace Poland, and learns that the definition of home has many meanings.


I read this book a few years ago and decided to read it again because I loved it so much. It's one of those quick, 200 page books that you can read over and over again. Even though the book could be longer, it's such an interesting story: a teenage girl goes to Communist Poland to aid an underground movement. Who could resist something like that? It even has romance, and I love it when an author can weave romance into a plot and make it realistic. Overall, just a cute book and a fun read.

8 out of 10.

5 comments:

Gwendolyn B. said...

Hey, Megan: I found your blog through the BBAW list. What an interesting assortment of books you have reviewed! I've skimmed over the last couple of months of your posts and added a few titles to my TBR list -- including EVA UNDERGROUND. Thanks for posting such tantalyzing reviews!

Rachael Stein said...

this sounds so cute!! i'll have to add it to my wishlist :D

Anonymous said...

Hi--Thanks for giving a nod to EVA UNDERGROUND. I wrote the book, and I wanted to let you know that it's based on my life. I did everything Eva did--plus her dad (because I went over alone after I graduated from college).

Congratulations on a wonderful site.
Dandi
Dandi Daley Mackall
www.dandibooks.com

Chelsie said...

Sounds so good, I definitely want to read it =D

Unknown said...

I have read this so much and still haven't gotten tired of it. This book has inspired me to learn more about Polind durning this time period and take a look at how hard things were and still are. This book was amazing, I had actaully picked it up by complete mistake and just checked it out not planning to really read it. But I did it caught my interest from the very first page and it's really hard for me to find a book that is like that usually I don't get interested until I'm halfway through. I love the characters. Especially Eva and Tomek (especially him) ;P this is such a good book and one I plan on reading time and time again. Well written. You are an amazing person and I'm glad you were able to make such a difference even in a little way.