Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

The elite and wealthy of Manhattan in 1899 live glamorous lives that the lower classes can only witness in the gossip pages of the newspaper. Most of these people enjoy the secure status that money and privilege brings, except sisters Elizabeth and Diana Holland, whose status is far from secure. When they discover that their fortune is dwindling, Elizabeth finds herself making a terrible sacrifice in the name of family duty. Other socialites Penelope Hayes and Henry Schoonmaker, and maid Lina Broud are in the background, waiting to take the top spot that Elizabeth now occupies. So when Elizabeth's carriage overturns by the East River and she disappears, many wonder is something more sinister is behind the accident...

The Luxe was an excellent book. I was reading it while vacationing at the beach, and could not put it down! My sister kept wanting me to do things with her, like go into the ocean or walk along the beach, and I kept saying no just so I could read. It's very much like Gossip Girl, except it takes place in 1899, which makes it even more interesting, in my opinion. The characters were all great, and I loved learning about how the elite in Manhattan spend their days. There was suspense, romance, twists, everything that makes a book wonderful. I can't wait to read the next in the series, Rumors!
8 out of 10.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The next in the series is Rumors... the Luxe is book one. Rumors is book two, and Envy is book three. Rumors is just as good as the Luxe if not better. You should definitely read it!!!

Simply_Megan said...

Wow I don't know how I put Envy as the second book! Thanks for pointing it out to me. I can't wait to read Rumors.

SarahBeth said...

I also enjoyed this one and thought the historical setting was a great bonus to a really well told story.