Friday, December 26, 2008

Nicola and the Viscount by Meg Cabot

Nicola Sparks, sixteen and an orphan, has just finished up her schooling and is ready to begin her London season. Residing with the Bartholomew's, she's hoping to catch the eye of the "god" Lord Sebastian Bartholomew, complete with good looks and a love of poetry. Although, it would be nice if her best friend's brother Nathaniel Sheridan would mind his own business and stop spreading rumors about Sebastian. But when Nicola finds out that Nathaniel's insinuations are true, she realizes she might have had the wrong viscount all along.

This book was so cute. I've never read a historical romance by Meg Cabot but she did a great job. Everything seemed well-researched and well-written, as always. Now that I've read a lot of Meg Cabot's work, I'm starting to see some recurring themes. The protagonist always falls in love, it seems, with her best friend's older brother. And she always denies that fact until the end of the book. I remember this happening in The Princess Diaries. But besides that, I thought the romance was nice and there was even a bit of action at the end that I was not expecting.
7 out of 10.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't like this one as much as Victoria and the Rogue. Nicola and the Viscount was just kind of meh to me. Even though it seems like a pattern, Meg only uses the whole girl falling in love with her friend's brother thing twice AFAIK. Usually her characters fall for their best guy friends.

di said...

I've got to agree about Victoria and the Rogue being my favorite of the two. If you liked Nicola and the Viscount, you should definitely check out the other.

~bella aire~