Sunday, February 8, 2009

Envy: A Luxe Novel by Anna Godbersen

Two months after Elizabeth Holland's dramatic homecoming, Manhattan eagerly awaits her return to the pinnacle of society. When Elizabeth refuses to rejoin her sister Diana's side, however, those watching New York's favorite family begin to suspect that all is not as it seems behind the stately doors of No. 17 Gramercy Park South.

Farther uptown, Henry and Penelope Schoonmaker are the city's most celebrated couple. But despite the glittering diamond ring on Penelope's finger, the newlyweds share little more than scorn for each other. And while the newspapers call Penelope's social-climbing best friend, Carolina Broad, an heiress, her fortune - and her fame - are anything but secure, especially now that one of society's darlings is slipping tales to the eager press.

In this next thrilling installment of Anna Godbersen's bestelling Luxe series, Manhattan's most envied residents appear to have everything they desire: Wealth. Beauty. Happiness. But sometimes the most practiced smiles hide the most scandalous secrets... (Taken from inside cover)

This series is so good and Envy did not disappoint. As I've stated before, The Luxe series is like Gossip Girl in 1900, but since it's historical fiction, it's even better. Anna Godbersen writes so well and there is a lot of historical facts and information that show that Anna did a lot of research. The story continues right where it left off in Rumors, and the characters never fail to create drama for themselves and others. As soon as you think all is well in Manhattan, there's a twist and everything falls apart again. Even after three books, I never tire of the characters and plot, which means the author is doing a wonderful job of storytelling. This series is perfect who likes historical fiction, romance, and a lot of scandalous secrets just waiting to be spilled.

8 out of 10.

7 comments:

Mrs. Magoo said...

I really, really want to read this!

Unknown said...

Is it really bad that I think these are just like Sweet Valley high with great dresses and covers that don't look like they were done in a Sears portrait studio?

asdfjkl; said...

I haven't read this series yet. But I'm thinking I really should...

prophecygirl said...

I wish the mail would hurry up so I can get my copy! lol. It sounds so good!

Bookworm said...

I can't wait to read it, but first I'll have to finish RUMORS...great series, one of my faves! And I agree with Taren, I am totally in love with the covers and the gorgeous dresses!
TheBookworm: READ IT! NOW! You'll LOVE them!

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE this series...

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! I just read and reviewed it recently. I can not wait to see how Diana and Henry will get to be together!