Sunday, February 1, 2009

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Remy may seem cold-hearted when it comes to relationships, but it's more like she's careful. After seeing her mother go through four (soon to be five) marriages, Remy just doesn't believe in love. She breaks up with her current boyfriend when she feels herself getting too involved, so she can spare herself from the heartache that she has seen her mother experience. But when Dexter comes along, everything changes. He's a musician (and therefore off-limits, as per Remy's rules) and different than Remy's previous boyfriends. Dexter actually seems to like (maybe love) her and Remy can't decide whether to break her rules and take a chance on him.

This is the seventh Sarah Dessen book that I've read, and I must say, they are amazing. I love her distinct writing style, and even though every protagonist's voice is different, I could still tell that it was written by Sarah. I didn't like This Lullaby as much as some of the other books I've read by her, but it was still good. Remy was an interesting character, one that didn't believe in love at all. I felt bad for her, because love can be a wonderful thing, and Remy would shut herself off in all the relationships so she wouldn't get too attached. I can understand wanting to protect your heart but Remy took no risks whatsoever when it came to relationships. I'm glad that by the end of the book Remy changed a lot and saw that it was better to be loved and hurt than never to have loved at all (I think I changed/butchered that quote somehow, but oh well). I really liked Dexter and felt he was one of the stronger Dessen male characters. He was funny and sweet and actually had a personality (unlike Wes from The Truth About Forever, who was kind of bland). I also liked the dynamics between Remy and her friends Jess, Lissa, and Chloe. All in all, if you're a fan of Sarah Dessen you won't be disappointed with This Lullaby.

7 out of 10.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a big Sarah Dessen fan! Great review! Can't wait to read Along For The Ride! :)

prophecygirl said...

I loved this book! Sarah Dessen can do no wrong, in my opinion! :D

Just Listen said...

A big YAY for Sarah Dessen. I LOVE her books!

Em said...

Aw, I just love Sarah Dessen! :)

Italia said...

I loved this book. It kept me entertained and was in my hands almost every moment of the day till i finished it. However i wish their was a full romantic scene. i was waiting the whole book and every time the romance was just getting started it went to the next chapter or the next day.