Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

Naomi has amnesia and can't remember any of the past four years. She can't remember picking heads on the coin toss. She can't remember losing the bet to go back into school to get the yearbook's camera. And she definitely can't remember falling down the stairs and busting her head open. But she can remember James, the new boy who found her and called the ambulance. Even though she has a boyfriend, Naomi can't help but feel drawn to this boy who wants to forget his past the same way she can't remember hers.

I actually really liked this book, despite some things within the book that I didn't like. Does that even make sense? I'll start with the things I did like: the characters of Naomi and her best friend Will. I felt bad for Naomi because she couldn't remember anything, but I found her journey to dicovering new things about her life very interesting. For example, she couldn't remember her parents' divorce, or the fact that her mom is remarried with a daughter and her father has a fiancee. As for my other favorite character, Will, he was a sweetheart. He was unconditionally loyal to Naomi and seemed to know everything about her. They were both co-editors of the yearbook and Will would make Naomi these cute little mix CDs. I loved him, haha. Now for things I didn't like: James. Actually that's the only thing I didn't like about Memoirs, but it's a big part. He was an odd character and supposed to be Naomi's love interest. He had some mental issues, like he spent time in mental facility, but he wasn't completely cured all the way. He just wasn't the right fit for Naomi, who I felt needed someone stable in her life after the head trauma and James was just an emotional mess. I also felt like the as the book progressed it was more about Naomi and James's relationship than about her losing her memory. Despite the things I didn't like (*cough*James*cough*), I was satisfied with the ending and overall enjoyed reading this book.

7 out of 10.

5 comments:

prophecygirl said...

I read this in 2007 I think, and I seem to remember thinking it was just 'okay' overall. It was good, but I didn't really find myself thinking about it afterwards.

Bookworm said...

I loved Zevin's Elsewhere, so I think I'll check this one out. It doesn't sound as good, but still...
And I love your blog! I'm following you now! (:

Steph Su said...

Hmm, I wasn't really fond of Elsewhere, so I don't know if I'll pick this one up, but nicely written review.

And YES, small world. I love it. If she works at Sharples then that probably means I see her all the time and will probably recognize her face. Which means that we have this crazy connection even before we met :)

Emily said...

awee! i love James!
and Memoirs (:

Holly said...

Earlier this year when I got back into reading this is one of the books that convinced me to keep on reading. Excellent book.