Sunday, July 12, 2009

Witch & Curse (Wicked Series) by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie

Holly Cathers's life has been turned upside. After her parents and best friend die in a white water rafting accident, Holly must move to Seattle to live with an aunt, uncle and cousins that she's never met. But dark forces are at work, and Holly soon learns that she is part of an ancient feud that extends back to the Medieval period. Holly and her cousins are part of the Cahors House, a French family that are warlocks and witches. Their rivals, the Deveraux family, are trying to find the secret of the Black Fire and don't like Holly getting in the way. Using her newfound magic, Holly, her cousins, and team of ragtag friends must find a way to stop the Deveraux and end the feud forever.

So for anyone who is confused, the book is actually two books in one. Since they have the same cover, and are essentially the same story, I just decided to review them at the same time. I got this book from a friend, who wanted me to read it first and tell her if it was good. Wicked (the name I will use to refer to the books combined) has been sitting on my shelf for many months, since I did not feel like reading it. But then I saw another friend reading it, and she practically gushed about Wicked, saying it was amazing and so, so good. But I didn't really like it that much. It kind of felt like Gossip Girl for fans of supernatural books. The story was easy to follow, the characters were pretty shallow, and the plot relied on a quick pace rather than actual storytelling. Ignoring the fact that the book is long, it was a light and easy read. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy reading it, but I'm not sure I would recommend it to other people. After finishing both books, I don't really like or care about the characters, and have no desire to find out what happens next. Unfortunately, there are three books after these two, and my friend said that she would bring me in the next two (also combined in one book). I don't want to hurt her feelings, so I guess I'm stuck reading more of Holly and her friends. If it's bad enough maybe I can attempt to snark it.

6 out of 10.

1 comment:

Sadako said...

Aw, too bad it wasn't good. Snark is always fun, though.