Saturday, June 26, 2010

Glimmerglass by Jenna Black

Dana is fed up with her mother's alcoholism; so much that she decides to run away and live with her father. Dana has grown up knowing that she's part fae and that her father is a faerie, but she doesn't realize how much of a problem that will be when she enters the magical world of Avalon and is subsequently kidnapped by her aunt Grace. As Dana learns more about her heritage and the dangers of fae politics, she finds herself the target of both assasins and abductors. Between her father, her aunt, and her new friends Ethan and Kimber, Dana doesn't know who to trust and how to make her life return to normal.

At first, I didn't like Glimmerglass. One of the reasons that I didn't like it was that I couldn't get used to a magical world that everyone knows about. In many fantasy novels, the mythical world is kept hidden from ordinary humans. However, this was not the case in Glimmerglass. In this book, everyone knows about Avalon and fairies and it just made the book seem a little corny. But once I got past the beginning I started really enjoying Glimmerglass. I especially ilked Jenna Black's writing and Dana's voice. It sounded just like a teenager: complete with witty comments and funny thoughts. I think I laughed out loud a few times. Throughout the book there were a few twists and turns that made me want to keep reading. There were also a couple hot fairy guys that will appeal to any girl. The ending lends itself to a sequel in that nothing is resolved. No cliffhanger but everything that is going on the book is left open. Luckily, Shadowspell will be available in early 2011.

8 out of 10.

FTC: I received this book through the Flamingnet Review Program.

No comments: