Saturday, August 13, 2011

She's So Dead to Us by Kieran Scott


Summary:
Perfect, picturesque Orchard Hill. It was the last thing Ally Ryan saw in the rearview mirror as her mother drove them out of town and away from the shame of the scandal her father caused when his hedge fund went south and practically bankrupted all their friends - friends that liked having trust funds and new cars, and that didn't like constant reminders that they were swindled. So it was adios, Orchard Hill. Thanks for nothing.

Now, two years later, Ally's mother has landed a job back at the site of their downfall. So instead of Ally's low-key, happy life, it'll be back into the snake pit with the likes of Shannen Moore and Hammond Ross.

But then there's Jake Graydon. Handsome, wealthy, bored Jake Graydon. He moved to town after Ally left and knows nothing of her scandal, but does know that he likes her. And she likes him. So off into the sunset they can go, right? Too bad Jake's friends have a problem with his new crush since it would make Ally happy. And if anyone deserves to be unhappy, it's Ally Ryan.

Ally was hoping to have left all the drama in the past, but some things just can't be forgotten. Isn't there more to life than money? (from book jacket)

Review:
This book was on my list of books to read and I picked it up at the library not really knowing what it was about. But after I read the synopsis, I was very intrigued. I wonder what it would be liked to be hated among your friends and neighbors over something that you didn't do? Add a West Side Story-esque romance in there and I was ready to get started. I read She's So Dead to Us in one night because I wanted to see what happened so badly.

She's So Dead to Us is a great novel for those who like Gossip Girl and Mean Girls. I think at one point the book actually started channeling Mean Girls because some of the plot points were really similar. But that's okay because I love Mean Girls. You have Ally, the protagonist. She's good at basketball, smart, pretty, extremely likable and all she wants is to have her friends back. But the people she grew up with her whole life want to make her life miserable because Ally's dad lost their money. I thought it was crazy how people who were literally best friends with Ally could easily and guiltlessly turn on Ally, but most of the characters were spoiled, rich kids so maybe it's not too far of stretch. Ally continues to be civil with her former friends, while they continue to prank her and treat her horribly.

However, one of the group doesn't like how they are treating Ally, and that person is Jake. Jake is new to town so his parents didn't lose any money, and he has a crush on Ally. I liked how their romance was forbidden and took awhile to actually develop because Jake's friends try to keep them away from Ally. Also, Ally and Jake don't always make the best impressions so there are many times where one character is angry with the other. I thought their relationship was realistic and liked how the book changed points-of-view between them.

The book ends on a major cliffhanger, and makes you want to read the sequel rightaway. There was enough unresolved drama to fill several books, so I can't wait to see where Kieran Scott takes us next.

Rating: 8 out of 10.
FTC: borrowed from library.

2010/Simon & Schuster/275 pages.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have this book in my TBR pile since last summer - and have been meaning to read it before the end of the year! I am glad that you found it enjoyable :) I like the Gossip Girl TV show and Mean Girls, so I hope that this book agrees with me!

Excellent review :)