Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - 52

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers who like to make lists about books.

Rewind: Top Ten Book to Movie Adaptations

1. The Hunger Games
I was extremely impressed when I first saw the movie back in March. They were able to recreate Suzanne Collins's world magnificently and the changes were minimal. I also enjoyed the extra scenes they added of the Gamemakers and of President Snow.

2. Something Borrowed
I really enjoyed the book and was hoping the movie would be just as good because it featured some of my favorite actors and actresses. Luckily for me, the movie was way better than the average romantic comedy and captured the spirit of the book, as well.

3. Romeo and Juliet
Even though I love Leonardo DiCaprio, I'm talking about the 1968 film that was a more traditional retelling of this epic play. The costumes and the setting all looked how I imagined them to be.

4. Game of Thrones
I'm still counting this even though it's a tv show. This is probably the best book to visual medium adaptation I've ever seen. Obviously they can go into so much more detail but I can't believe how real the sets, costumes and locations look. Pretty much everything in the books is in the show, which is refreshing.

5. Water for Elephants
Water for Elephants isn't my favorite book ever, but I actually enjoyed the movie. It was a very well-done adaptation.

6. Game Change
This is an HBO movie based off a book of the same name that discussed the entire 2008 presidential election (including both the Republican and Democratic primaries). The movie only focuses on John McCain's campaign, and specifically Sarah Palin, but it mirrored that part in the book perfectly. It also won a few Emmys, so it's worth checking out.

7. Harry Potter
I know I've complained often about the movies (obviously the books are better) but now that they're all done, I really did enjoy them.

8. Revolutionary Road
This is one case where I watched the movie first and then read the book. This is my favorite movie and luckily the book was just as good.

9. Gone With the Wind
Gone With the Wind is an extremely long book, and the director was able to hit all the major points by making the movie 3 hours long. For being filmed in 1939, it's a very good movie and obviously still a classic.

10. Jane Eyre
There are probably multiple adaptations but I saw the 2011 version and I thought it was really well-done. My sister watched it with me and liked it (and understood it) even though she hadn't read the novel.

6 comments:

Jane said...

I'm glad you liked The Hunger Games... it really baffles me when people say it's bad. It was really well done and fit the book so well.

The same with Gone With The Wind. The book was 1000 freaking pages long, how could people expect everything to make it into the movie? It was a good movie, regardless of whether it's the same as the book or not.

Jane

kayerj said...

so many good books--made into great movies. Nice choice today. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really liked the 2011 version of Jane Eyre, too. I'm not a huge Jane Eyre fan. I like it, but it isn't my favorite. But I really liked that movie.

Agree with you on HP, as well. My fav HP movie is number 3, even though they leeft out a lot from the books. I think the movie as a whole is excellent.

Here's my TTT

lillylilac said...

I love the Game of Thrones adaption as well and I agree that it's pretty much the best adaption of a book series ever. I like The Hunger Games and Harry Potter movies as well.

Hollie said...

The Hunger Games is one of my favourite book to movie adaptations. It was just so well done. The Harry Potter films were good too, my favourite one was probably the last one, I thought they captured everything they needed to in that film. Great list!

My TTT

Shelver506 said...

Next you should try the 2006 BBC adaption of Jane Eyre with Ruth Wilson. It's a million times better (in my opinion). Even if you don't think it's BETTER, you may still like it. :)

My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-rewind-top-ten-bookish.html