Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - 19

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish for those who like books and lists.


Top Ten Books I'd Hand to Someone Who Doesn't Like to Read

1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Sorry that these books are on every one of my lists, but they deserve to be! Nuff said.

2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Everyone and their mother is reading these books (even my dad read them!) and I gave them to a friend who doesn't read a whole lot and she obviously loved them.

3. The Secret Life of Prince Charming by Deb Caletti
I would give this to a teenage girl because I love all of Caletti's work and I think all her protagonists are extremely relateable.

4. The Giver by Lois Lowry
This is a requirement in many schools and I haven't heard of anyone disliking it yet. It's a pretty easy read, as well, which adds to its appeal.

5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzergerald
This is definitely a good classic for non-readers. Even though it's 80 years old, the language is not too hard to read. Plus, jazz, drinking and parties? What high schooler (or anyone else for that matter) doesn't like that?

6. Divergent by Veronica Roth
This book is very engaging and really keeps you on your toes. All the action makes it feel like you're not even reading a book.

7. Paper Towns by John Green
This is my favorite of his so far (haven't read The Fault in Our Stars yet) and I think both boys and girls would love this!

8. The Mortal Instruments & The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
These are two of my favorite series and the fantasy world is beautifully written. There's also plenty of action, bravery, humor and romance to satisfy everyone's needs.

9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
This is another easy, but awesome, classic. I first read it in fifth grade so I think it's a great book for all ages.

10. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Jodi Picoult is an extremely talented writer and all of her books are wonderful.

4 comments:

Epiphany Renee said...

I was never assigned The Giver in school, but I'm seeing it on a lot of Top Tens lately. Maybe I should add it to this year's TBR pile.

Like to visit my Top Ten? http://epiphanyrenee.blogspot.com/2012/02/top-ten-books-youd-hand-to-someone-who.html#comments

kayerj said...

I'm familiar with a few on your list. It's nice to have such a wide variety to recommend. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Trish said...

To Kill a Mockingbird! One of my favorite books of all time.

Jorie said...

I listed To Kill a Mockingbird, too. Also, I've got Lois Lowry's Number the Stars. She's a great writer.

http://joriesreads.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/top-ten-books-id-hand-to-someone-who-says-they-dont-like-to-read/