Friday, June 22, 2012

Book vs. Movie: Game of Thrones

I guess this should actually be called Book vs. TV Show, but since it's the one and only of its kind (so far) I'll just include it with the movies.

So like any good reader, I read both A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings before watching seasons 1 and 2 of the HBO fantasy drama Game of Thrones. I actually started watching the first season while I was still reading the first book, so it was cool to see the characters come to life almost immediately after reading it.

I think that Game of Thrones is the best book to visual medium I've ever encountered. HBO spares no expense when it comes to costumes, sets, and locations. They did a magnificent job casting the actors, so everyone looks and sounds pretty much as I imagined them to. The script is wonderful and nothing is left out. I know the real reason is because they dedicated an entire season to one book. It's like making a ten hour movie. Literally, everything that happens is included and there are even scenes that have been added to enhance the viewing experience and to help non-readers understand what's going on.

In the first season nothing was changed, but in the second season there were some changes. Dany's, Jon's and Robb's storylines are altered, but I didn't mind too much because it gets all the characters to the same place in the end.

Overall, I think HBO did an excellent job with the adaptation (it helps that the author, George R.R. Martin, is a producer) and I'm looking forward to the third season! So if you read A Song of Ice and Fire or are just looking for a good show to watch, I highly recommend Game of Thrones.

5 comments:

LM Preston said...

I think the book to movie transition will always be a challenge. When you read the story is unique to the reader as it plays out within your own mind.

We Heart YA said...

"I know the real reason is because they dedicated an entire season to one book. It's like making a ten hour movie."

Too bad they couldn't/didn't do that with Harry Potter or Hunger Games, right? (Come to think of it, WHY DIDN'T THEY?!)

Simply_Megan said...

I wish they could make ten hour movies of all my favorite books! I'm thinking HBO needs to start some more book-to-tv adaptations.

Anonymous said...

The first season was okay, some scenes were pretty good even if changed a bit. The second season went too far away from the book... with some key scenes to character development being totally different.

Someone who did not read the book will likely enjoy it... but for me it just is too big bastardization of the books.

Also, in second book some stuff became so ridiculous they did not even bother to film it... like Jaqen hanging dozen near each other guards, who were on the watch, without rising alarm... and then even bothering to hand them from the walls? Meh.. Arya tricking a single guard in books was at least somewhat believable...

By the 6 or 7 episode of the season2 it became nothing but
waste of time...


...The script is wonderful and nothing is left out...

Are you sure you did the books? because that is totally incorrect. Not only things were left out... but changed beyond point of recognition. I am sorry.. but I cannot agree with you here.


Needless to say, my experience, and yours is different. But oh well...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.