Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - 82

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers who like to make lists about books.

Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects

1. Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
I read this in my ninth grade global studies class because it's about a young boy growing up in Apartheid in South Africa. Mark lived in poverty surrounded by racism, disease, abuse and other horrible things. Luckily the story has a relatively happy ending.

2. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
This should be on everyone's list because many people have read it. For those who don't know it's about keeping rape a secret.

3. Easy by Tammara Weber
This is similar to Speak but the main character is a victim of attempted rape.

4. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
Forbidden is such a good book but it's about incest between a brother and a sister. By the end you'll be rooting for them to get together.

5. Illegal by Bettina Restrepo
This isn't my favorite book ever but it's about illegal immigration.

6. Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult
Only the strong of heart should read this book because it's about the sexual abuse of a little boy. Pretty much every Jodi Picoult book could be on this list, though.

7. Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott
This was such a hard read too! It's about a girl who was kidnapped when she was younger and has been abused by her captor for years.

8. Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara
Wren suffers from depression after her boyfriend is killed in a car accident.

9. If I Lie by Corrine Jackson
Quinn is accused of cheating on her Marine boyfriend, which is the ultimate sin in a military town. Also deals with homophobia.

10. Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
Twenty Boy Summer deals with the death of a secret boyfriend.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still haunted by Living Dead Girl. It's been 4 years and it is still the most disturbing book I have ever read (except for Flowers in the Attic...scarred forever!)http://wp.me/pzUn5-1uA

Briana said...

Perfect Match was one of the first books I reviewed on my blog :) I really enjoyed it.

Forbidden is one of my favorite books ever. I've gotten some of my best friends to read it. At first, I tell them it's about incest and they look at me like I'm mentally ill. Then they read it, and understand. Tabitha Suzuma is a genius.

Susan said...

SPEAK is a really gripping and important book. It's the only one I've read on your list, actually. I'm definitely going to check out your other picks, though.

Happy TTT!