Monday, September 15, 2014

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

8755785Summary:
In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!(from GoodReads)


Review:
I finally finished this book! It's been sitting on my nightstand since the beginning of summer, with only about a hundred pages left. Oops. I guess that's sort of an indication of how I felt about City of Heavenly Fire: I could take it or leave it.

Honestly, and I hate to say this because I really do love the Shadowhunter world, this series should have just been a trilogy. Looking back on all six books, the first three are really good and the last three are just so-so. I liked them and enjoyed them, but were they really necessary? I think Clare would have been better spent putting time into the upcoming Dark Artifices series, which I am actually excited about. I should have Shadowhunter fatigue, especially after the Infernal Devices too, but something about forbidden love just gets me.

Anyway, City of Heavenly Fire just isn't that exciting, quite unlike what you expect from a conclusion. If you do venture into this world, you would be fine to just stick to the first three. Or go straight to Clockwork Angel, because I think the Infernal Devices are a hundred times better.

Rating: 6 out of 10.
FTC: bought

2014/Margaret K. McElderry/725 pages.

No comments: