Saturday, November 5, 2011

Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Summary:
Sick of vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn’t believe in them.

Not that Meena isn’t familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you’re going to die (not that you’re going to believe her; no one ever does).

But not even Meena’s precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets—then makes the mistake of falling in love with—Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side . . . a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, he already is dead. Maybe that’s why he’s the first guy Meena’s ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena’s always been able to see everyone else’s future, she’s never been able look into her own.

And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future . . .

If she even has one. (from GoodReads)

Review:

Even though it took me awhile to read Insatiable (it's over 400 pages, so it's pretty long), I still enjoyed it. I love Meg Cabot and this is the first time I've read a fantasy book by her. It was also an "adult" book, but it read just like YA, which I liked.

There are so many vampire books out there, but I still enjoyed Insatiable. I like how Meena hates them and she thinks they're fake until she finds out the truth. I also liked how Meena could tell how people were going to die; I thought that was a very interesting ability. I enjoyed some of the minor characters, as well, such as Meena's brother Jon, vampire hunter Alaric Wulf, and Meena's neighbors Emil and Mary Lou.

(Side note: two characters in Insatiable also share the names of characters in The Vampire Diaries (Alaric and Stefan). Coincidence?)

What I didn't like about Insatiable was the relationship/romance between Lucien and Meena. I understood why Meena was feeling the way she was, especially since early on we learn that when a vampire bites a human, that human falls in love with the vamp. But I honestly didn't know why Lucien was in love with Meena. She's a great character and mysterious to Lucien, but he starts spouting off Romeo and Juliet nonsense like how he can't live without her and she's the reason for his whole existence. That's not really my thing.

I am curious to read the sequel, Overbite, only because I want to see more of Meena, her brother, and Alaric (whom I really liked!). But I'm not dying to get my hands on the next book. So we'll see what happens.

Rating: 7 out of 10.
FTC: received book from publisher

2010/William Morrow/451 pages.

No comments: