Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - 48

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers who like to make lists about books.

Top Ten Books That Made Me Think

1. The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose
This is a memoir about a college sophomore who transfers to Liberty University (he previously attended Brown) and learns about Evangelical Christianity. I thought it was so fascinating reading about the school, it's strict rules, and about the people Kevin met.

2. A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving
This is one of my favorite novels and I still can believe it was a required summer reading book. The novel explores such topics as fate vs. free will and faith vs. doubt.

3. Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
I decided to add something more contemporary, and I picked this because I'm currently reading the sequel, Spark. Glow was actually pretty deep and dealt with issues such as power, control, and how people use religion/faith to lead a population.

4. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
All of Jodi Picoult's are extremely thought-provoking, so I just picked the first one I read. This one is about bodily autonomy and what happens when your organs/blood/bone marrow can be used to save someone's life.

5. Game Change by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin
This changed the way I thought about politics and specifically the 2008 presidential election. I learned a lot about the behind-the-scenes things that happened.

6. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
This seemed like a warning of something to come and was extremely scary (especially if you're a woman).

7. Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
I learned so much about Apartheid in South Africa when I read this. I never realized how horrible conditions were.

8. Animal Farm by George Orwell
I thought this was cool because every character represented someone during the Russian Revolution. So it made me think about the time period history and try to line up the event in the book with what actually happened.

9. The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams
This was about a girl who lives in a Mormon Fundamentalist commune and is forced to marry her uncle. I can't even believe people have to suffer throught that in the US.

10. This Gorgeous Game by Donna Freitas
This was interesting because it was about a priest stalking a young girl, but it didn't involve sexual abuse. It opened my eyes to the different ways that abuse can occur.

1 comment:

Anne said...

I loved A Prayer for Owen Meany. I read it a long time ago but still remember so much about it, such a great story!