Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - 105

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers and readers who like to get excited about upcoming books.

Top Ten Unusual Character Names

1. Gemma - The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray
I actually really like this name but I thought it was so weird when I first started reading A Great and Terrible Beauty. It's like Emma but different!

2. The Selection Trilogy by Kiera Cass
I'm not even picking one name, when this series features monikers such as America, Maxon and Aspen. I think the author was trying to pick the most outrageous names.

3. Caymen - The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
I thought this was such a interesting choice for a name because it's the same of a certain island where the wealthy store their money (albeit spelled differently). Since the novel focused so much on wealth and what it does to your personality, I was intrigued by this name.

4. Tally - The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
I thought this name was hilarious because we used to have a dog named Talli.

5. Katniss - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Even though I explained to my dad that the series was futuristic, he wasn't buying this name. According to him, names haven't changed that much over a few centuries, so why would they in the not-so-distant future. He had a good point.

6. Augustus - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
This is such an uncommon name nowadays and I was surprised to see it in a YA book. Not really a fan of the nickname Gus but Augustus sounds pretty authoritative.

7. Felicia - Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans
I think Felicia is such a pretty name! It reminds me of the American Girl doll Felicity too. More people should name their kids this!

8. Rhine and Rowan - Wither Trilogy by Lauren DeStefano
I think these names are really cool, even though they are pretty weird.

9. Hermione - Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
I had to put this on the list! Now this name seems so normal but when I first started reading the series I couldn't wrap my mind around such an odd name.

10. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
This is fantasy so it's obvious that the names will be pretty crazy. Some interesting ones include: Stannis, Cersei, Rickon, Bran, Joffrey, Melisandre and Sansa.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Those are all good, but I especially like some of the Game of Thrones names... Melisandre is pretty good, and some of the Nights Watch people too have goofy names. Jaqen H'ghar, Ygritte come to mind. :)