Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Summary:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten. (from GoodReads)

Review:
I seriously can't believe that I waited this long to read The Fault in Our Stars. I wanted to borrow it from the library but it has been on hold or out since it was released. I eventually saw a copy of the novel on my friend's bookshelf and she reluctantly let me borrow it. This is definitely my favorite John Green book, which is really saying something because he's an awesome author.

The story is destined to be depressing. That's what happens when your main character has terminal cancer. Though it's not terminal in the sense that "oh I have a year to live." It's more of the fact that Hazel knows she will eventually die from cancer, but the doctors aren't really sure when. Now that her disease is slightly stabilized, Hazel is able to go to classes at the community college and attend a cancer support group. Which is where she meets Augustus! He is such an awesome character and definitely one of those John Green signature personalities. The relationship between Hazel and Augustus is so, so sweet, especially since he understands her due to him having cancer at one point too.

There were other interesting and important characters as well. I loved Hazel's parents, who were so supportive and loving. Augustus's friend Isaac was hilarious. The author of their favorite (fake) novel makes an appearance and is a little rough around the edges but ultimately a good guy.

I just want to warn those who haven't read the book (which is probably no one at this point): you will cry. I predicted the ending but it didn't make it any less sad! This is going to be even harder to watch on-screen, when it's made into a movie.

I really enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars now that I've finally read it. I think I devoured it in about a day - I just could not put it down. I would probably consider this my favorite John Green novel and I hope that whatever he writes next can top this novel.

Rating: 10 out of 10.
FTC: borrowed from a friend.

2012/Dutton Books/313 pages.

1 comment:

We Heart YA said...

Oh goodness, we hadn't even considered how much we'll be blubbering in the theater! They better be handing out little packs of tissue like they do the 3D glasses...