Sunday, March 23, 2014

Book vs. Movie: Divergent

So Divergent came out this weekend! I wasn't as excited for this movie as other, recent book to movie adaptations. I'm not quite as invested in this trilogy as ones like The Hunger Games especially since I haven't even read Allegiant yet. But I actually really liked Divergent the movie and thought the producers did a good job of translating the book to the screen.

First off, the screenplay was really well-done, because the movie hits all the major plot points of the novel at a really good pace. It's not rushed but it's not too slow either. Whoever wrote the script did a really good job of explaining everything and showing how the society works. I wasn't confused at all, which sometimes happens with science fiction adaptations.

I thought that all the actors did a wonderful job. I haven't always been the biggest fan of Shailene Woodley (I can't stand The Secret Life of the American Teenager) but she really brought the character of Tris to life. Theo James as Four was good as well. I loved seeing Miles Teller as Peter and he really pulls of the mean character well. The actor who played Eric was deliciously villainous and of course Kate Winslet was superb.

I honestly don't have many complaints about Divergent. There were minor changes obviously but nothing huge. It also helped that I haven't read the book in a few years so I don't remember everything that happens. If you're a fan of the book make sure you get out to the theater to check out this movie! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments: