Friday, March 20, 2009

GoldenGirl by Micol Ostow

Spencer, Madison, and Paige are the It girls of Bradford Prep, an exclusive school on the Main Line. Living in an affluent suburb of Philadelphia has its perks: money, big houses, trendy clubs in the city. But all is not well with the golden girls. When a new student, Regan, is accepted to Bradford, Paige seems to have a problem with her, one that Spencer and Madison can't figure out. As the feud between Regan and Paige intensifies, Spencer will have to decide where her loyalties lie.

GoldenGirl was a good book, but unfortunately wasn't too original. It was just like Gossip Girl or The Elite: rich girls and their drama. There were a few differences, though, that made me enjoy reading this book. One, it was set on the Main Line, which is this really rich suburb of Philly. I liked this because for once the book wasn't set in New York and I also live really close to the Main Line (not in it, unfortunately). So it was cool recognizing the names of places. Another thing I like was that this book was told through Spencer's blog entries. Since it's the 21st century, the journal format is beginning to be replaced with blogs, so it was something different from the norm. And what was really cool about the blog entries was that the publishing company created real blogs for all the characters, in addition to websites for the school and clubs that the characters go to. I was looking through the blogs, and the characters even comment on the posts! I thought that was so funny and really makes the book come alive. As for the plot, there isn't much to comment on. It was like any other Gossip Girl type book, but it did leave the reader hanging at the end. Even though GoldenGirl contained the usual scandal and drama usually associated with wealthy teenagers, I still enjoyed reading it and recommend it if you want a "guilty pleasure" book.

7 out of 10.

3 comments:

Bookworm said...

I look forward to beginning this one...Micol rocks!

Unknown said...

I just started reading this and I'm thinking the exact same thing, about the unoriginality I mean. It kinda sucks. And I'm only on like the fourth page.

Elizabeth Encarnacion said...

Robin, a lot of people have said they had trouble getting into the book at first, but ended up totally changing their minds and loved it.

Let me know how it goes for you!