Friday, March 18, 2011

The Girl Who Became a Beatle by Greg Taylor

Summary:
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah!

When Regina Bloomsbury’s band, the Caverns, breaks up, she thinks it’s all over. And then she makes a wish—

“I wish I could be as famous as the Beatles.”

The Beatles are her music idols. The next day, she gets up to find that the Caverns are not just as famous as the Beatles, they have replaced them in history! Regina is living like a rock star, and loving it. There are talk shows, music videos, and live concerts with thousands of screaming fans. And Regina is the star of it all.

But fame is getting the better of Regina, and she has a decision to make. Does she want to replace the Beatles forever?

Here is a rocking novel about the good and the bad of Hollywood, fame, and rock ’n roll. (from GoodReads)

Review:
I was originally attracted to The Girl Who Became a Beatle because I love the Beatles and wanted to see how the author would go about this concept. A band replacing the Beatles in history? It seems almost blasphemous but I knew that it would still be a fun read.

While I enjoyed The Girl Who Became a Beatle, I also didn't love it. The characters were interesting and I enjoyed all the Beatles facts. I liked the theme of "be careful what you wish for" because even though it's overdone I think it's an important lesson that many people have to learn. I liked watching Regina grow and change because she was truly a dynamic character.

But I felt a little removed from the story because the reader is never allowed to completely connect with Regina. Also, some of the events and dialogue are a little cheesy, which I expected. While The Girl Who Became a Beatle is no literary masterpiece, it will be an enjoyable read for those who like the Beatles.

Rating: 7 out of 10.
FTC: received book from Henry Holt's InGroup.

2011/Feiwel and Friends/281 pages.

No comments: