Friday, March 4, 2011

Her and Me and You by Lauren Strasnick

Summary:
ItalicI met Fred first.

Fred: Hot. Enigmatic. Alex's first friend in her lonely new town. Maybe her first ... everything.

I met Adina the following Monday.

Adina: Fred's twin sister. Cold. Troubled. Trouble.

I kissed him. She pressed her mouth to my mouth.

People warn Alex to steer clear of the twins, but Alex is drawn to them. She wants to be part of their crazy world ... no matter the consequences. (from book jacket)

Review:
I liked Lauren Strasnick's debut Nothing Like You well enough, and I am always interested in the relationship between twins so I thought Her and Me and You would be a good choice. I enjoyed the read, however the sparse writing style is hard for me to get into.

The novel starts out with Alex moving to Meadow Marsh with her mother after her father cheats with a much younger woman. Alex's mother takes to drinking, and when her best friend gets a new boyfriend, Alex starts to feel lonely. She turns to her new friends that she has made at school, Fred and Adina. Fred is nice to Alex but Adina is a mystery. Sometime she's nice to Adina and other times she spreads rumors about Alex behind her back. And it all seems to stem from one thing: she's jealous that Alex is taking her brother away from her.

So we have a really weird situation with the twins that's actually really interesting to watch. You can tell Adina has some problems but she acts pretty crazy most of the time. Fortunately, things get somewhat resolved, but I must say that the ending was very confusing for me and just kind of leaves off without saying too much.

I liked Her and Me and You, but I was never really engrossed in the story. The sparse and succinct writing works for this book, but for me I just don't like it that much. However, if you enjoyed Nothing Like You, you should definitely give Her and Me and You a try because the writing is very similar.

Rating: 7 out of 10.
FTC: borrowed from my library.

2010/Simon Pulse/171 pages.

No comments: