Monday, April 1, 2013

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Summary:
Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.
Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?


Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.


A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her. (from GoodReads)

Review:
I have been anxiously waiting for the release of Clockwork Princess for over a year now, which was when I finished Clockwork Prince. I haven't been this excited about a book for a long time - especially because all our questions would be answered: who is Tessa going to end up with? What exactly is Tessa? How will Mortmain be defeated? So it's no surprise to say that my expectation were extremely high. I'm delighted to say that Clockwork Princess surpassed my expectations! It was seriously one of most satisfying conclusions I ever read and I adored it!

It's no secret that I'm obsessed with Cassandra Clare and her two series: The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices. I actually think I like The Infernal Devices better because of the historical fiction and the love triangle is actually good. So when I say Clockwork Princess is amazing, I'm taking into account all the other books I've read by Cassie. I can't believe that Cassandra Clare is still able to come up with great novels, but I'm so glad she does.

I know most people are interested in the romance (me included) so we'll start there. Most of the time love triangles are so overdone, but the tension between Will, Jem and Tessa was actually believable and made for a good story. Since they all love each other a lot (Will and Jem are parabatai), it was difficult to envision an ending where everyone was happy. Let me tell you, no matter what "team" you're on, the ending is so satisfying. I couldn't be more pleased with the way Cassie resolved everything. Some might say it's a "cop-out" but I was totally okay with it!

Speaking of other endings that are satisfying, the arc with Mortmain was resolved nicely and just fit in so well. Everything ties together and you won't expect how the day is saved, but I loved it! There were a few new characters and characters that had a lot more page time, like Cecily, Gabriel and Gideon. I actually enjoyed reading about all of them and getting some of their POVs. The brotherly relationship between Gabriel and Gideon was a lot more interesting than I was expecting and I was pleasantly surprised.

So, pretty much, if you haven't read Clockwork Princess yet, you need to do that ASAP because you won't be disappointed! I whole-heartedly recommend this entire trilogy. I laughed, I cried (multiple times) and just fell in love with this world and all the characters. I'm so glad there are more Shadowhunter books coming because I don't know what I'd do otherwise.

Rating: 10 out of 10.
FTC: bought!

2013/Margaret K. McElderry/568 pages.

No comments: