Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - 79

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers who like to make lists about books.

Top Ten Books I Liked More Than I Thought I Would

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Whenever books are required for class, I'm always a little wary, but I ended up loving Jane Eyre! I think it was my favorite book I read all year in my literature class and we read some great classics. It's pretty long but totally worth it if you're into Gothic fiction.

2. Hearts at Stake by Alyxandra Harvey
This was a vampire novel and I only picked it up because I received the third book in the series. I can't just read that one, can I? I was so surprised when I really enjoyed Hearts at Stake. I still haven't read the second or third books in the series, so I need to get on that.

3. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
I was so nervous starting this book because I didn't think I would like it. This came out before the current zombie craze so I had no idea that zombies were awesome. It's funny that this turned out to be one of my favorite trilogies.

4. Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
This was marketed as high fantasy reminiscent of Game of Thrones. I'm not the biggest fan of high fantasy and I didn't know how it could compare to A Song of Ice and Fire, but I actually loved it! The world building wasn't as intricate as that of George R.R. Martin, but it was still really good.

5. Glimmerglass by Jenna Black
When I first started Glimmerglass, I had trouble getting into the story. But once I got past the beginning I loved the book! I still need to finish the trilogy.

6. Heist Society by Ally Carter
I saw this at my library and just picked up because I remembered it was featured on someone's blog. It endedup being one of my all time favorite novels.

7. Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
I decided to read this for summer reading going into high school and absolutely loved it! It's such an underrated book but I think a lot of people would enjoy it.

8. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
This was required summer reading for my senior year of high school and the three books I read before it were terrible. I was pleasantly surprised when I found this book to be very enjoyable.

9. Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita
I've had this on my shelf for a few years and I finally read it a few months ago. I thought it was going to be total fluff but it was really good! Still fluffy, but the good kind. I can't wait to read the the rest of the series.

10. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
I had the first two HP books on my shelf all throughout elementary school but was never interesting in reading them. That is, until I saw the first movie! Then I read Books 1-4 in about a week because I loved them so much.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice list. It's awful when we get so excited about something just to have it fail us!
New Follower <3
3!
Beth | The Reading Vixens
Vixen's Top Ten!

Natalie @Natflix&Books said...

I have Harry Potter on my list, too. I love the Heist Society books. So good.
Here's my TTT

lillylilac said...

Good list, I love Heist Society as well.

Somewhere Only We Know said...

I really loved Jane Eyre too. That made my list. I also LOVE Carrie Ryan's writing in The Forest of Hands and Teeth series. The Dark and Hollow Places kind of let me down a bit. But The Dead-Tossed Waves is one of my favorite books on it's own.

TTT
Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know