Saturday, April 6, 2013

Book vs. Movie: The Host

So last weekend my friend and I went to see The Host in theaters. Originally I was really excited because I enjoyed the concept of the novel (even though it's by Stephenie Meyer) and I thought the trailer looked awesome. But of course my friend posted a bad YouTube review of the movie, so my expectations were a lot lower. Which is probably a good thing, to be honest.

The movie got a bad review because the reviewer had not read the book. If you haven't read the book, you will not like this movie. It's very confusing, moves quickly, and jumps from plot point to plot point. There is a little to no character development, so the "I love yous" seem
forced and unrealistic. I understand why someone would not like this because it's definitely not a paragon of cinematic art.

On the other hand, if you have read the book, you'll have a better experience. Since I already knew what was going on, it was fun to see the book come to life on the big screen. This movie is meant to be a companion for the book. There is a lot of material to cover, which is why everything felt so rushed. I thought the actors did a good job, especially Saoirse Ronan, who plays Melanie/Wanderer. The views of the desert were stunning and make me want to visit the Southwest. Some of the lines were pretty cheesy but made me laugh. Overall I think the atmosphere and message that Stephanie Meyer was trying to get across was present in the movie.

I would only recommend seeing the movie if you've read the book and really enjoyed it. Otherwise you might be confused and angry at the fast pace.

1 comment:

We Heart YA said...

Ooo, good to know! We have all read and LOVED the book, so we were pretty sad to see the crushing reviews of the movie... But as you say, some films are just intended to be companions to the novels -- like a bonus for fans! -- so it seems possible that we'll still really like this. :)