Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - 120

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers who like to make lists about books.


Top Ten Reasons I Love Being a Reader

1. It's fun! I love reading and it's enjoyable for me to curl up with a good book.

2. I'm never bored. Whenever I feel the beginnings of boredom, I just pick up a book and cure those annoying feelings.

3. It's an easy hobby. I love that I can read wherever - on an airplane, in the waiting room, on the beach. Books (and e-readers) are portable so I can take them anywhere.

4. It makes me a better writer. Reading has made me a better writer and student in general (the verbal portion of the SAT? Nailed it). I have a much bigger vocabulary than I normally would and reading all those different sentence structures has made me a more well-rounded writer.

5. I learn new things. I mostly read fiction, but when I read historical fiction I know I'm picking up some facts about that time period (even if others things are untrue). Even just being exposed to new settings is interesting and an educational experience.

6. It's a great way to connect to other people. This sounds counterintuitive because reading is such a solitary hobby but I think it's a great way to connect to others. Through blogging is definitely a big way but my friends and I read the same books so we discuss them and then go see the movie adaptations together. It's a lot of fun.

7. It led me to blogging! Blogging has been so much fun: meeting other readers and authors, learning about new books and sharing my own bookish experiences. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

8. It's an escape. Reading allows me to leave my own world for a little and it's great way to relieve stress. It's not healthy to always worry about your own life and reading is a way to get away from those problems.

9. It makes my room look interesting. This is kind of a shallow reason but my room is overflowing with books and people are amazed that I've read most of them.

10. It can be free. Buying books can be expensive, which is why I utilize my public library. I love that we have them and can't imagine living in an area without one. I love being able to save a little money by borrowing books.

4 comments:

Rimsha @Ramblings of a Bookworm said...

Great list totally agree with number 1 and 3.
Here's mine:http://ramblingsofabookworm3.blogspot.com/2014/02/top-ten-tuesday-1-top-ten-reasons-i.html

Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm said...

Great list! I agree with all of these and can't believe that I didn't think of some of them, especially the fact that if it wasn't for being a reader, I wouldn't be a blogger right now. Great picks :) My TTT.

Katherine P said...

Love this list! So with you on number 10. I don't know what I'd do without my library!

Anonymous said...

I love #9! One of my favorite things about my apartment is that it is positively crammed with books - all my bookshelves are overflowing and it is wonderful:)

And I totally agree on the blogging - I just started in January and it's already become one of my favorite things ever!

Here are my reasons I love reading & blogging, if you'd like to check it out:)