Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Summary:
When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in 1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars).

The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous

But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far. (from GoodReads)

Review:
I thought that Going Vintage had a really cute premise and for the most part was a light and fun novel. I definitely enjoyed it, though there were definitely things I didn't like.

I thought the theme of "vintage" was adorable and especially appropriate because Mallory's father deals with antiques. Old things are cool, so I definitely understood Mallory's fascination with the early 60s. There were some good messages about the Internet and how things can go wrong when you're online. I think it's good that everyone take some time away from their cell phones and technology. There's no need to be connected 24/7 and I think Mallory learned that valuable lesson.

I really liked Oliver as a love interest; he was a great character and good for Mallory. I liked how the ending was not super traditional and that Mallory sees he value in being single, especially just after breaking up with a long-time boyfriend.

The one part I didn't like was the break-up between Mallory and her boyfriend Jeremy. He's obsessed with the online game Second Life, in which you pretty much live another life on the computer. Mallory accidently finds emails between Jeremy and his online "wife" who lives states away. Instead of having a discussion about this (which would have been super interesting - emotional vs. physical cheating is kind of a gray area for some people) she runs out of his house, refuses to talk with him and breaks up with him on a social networking site. I actually felt pretty bad for Jeremy because I don't think he knew what was going on at first. He obviously wasn't the greatest boyfriend but I think he at least deserved an explanation of how it's not okay to get emotionally and romantically attached to someone who isn't your girlfriend. That first scene kind of showed me Mallory's maturity level.

Other than my nitpicking I still enjoyed the book. There's a lot going on - Mallory has two parents, a sister, grandmother and friends who all get their own storylines - but it was a fun ride. There were some legitimately funny parts too.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10
FTC: borrowed from the library.

2013/Bloomsbury/320 pages.

No comments: