Monday, February 23, 2009

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz

Schuyler Van Alen lives with her rich grandmother in New York City and attends a pretigious high school in which all the students come from the wealthiest and most influential families. The girls are beautiful, thin, and seem to have it all - including immortality. And Schuyler's one of them. These are the Blue Bloods, a group of vampires that have ruled New York for centuries. Not quite your normal vampires, they shed their mortal bodies every 100 years and are born again, with memories hidden until the age of sixteen. These vampires are immortal, but something is preying on the Blue Bloods, and killing them. Schuyler must figure out who is behind the attacks before it is too late.

I've wanted to read this series for awhile, but didn't have the book until my friend let me borrow hers. She was raving about Blue Bloods so I expected it to be good. And it was. But I wasn't that impressed with it overall. The plot was interesting, even though it was another of the never-ending vampire novels. I'm glad that Melissa de la Cruz decided to go in a different direction with her vampires. These ones actually "die" in that they shed their mortal bodies and are born again at a different time. This is interesting because the characters are now different people and have different relationships with each other. The person you were bonded to in one lifetime could be born as your twin brother (which actually happens). Although, I wished the author explained more about the Blue Bloods and their history. Everything seemed rushed, and not fully explained, but I hope everything will be cleared up in the next few books. Things I didn't like included the dialogue, which sounded forced and a little cheesy to me. The plot could have been polished slightly so it wasn't so rough around the edges. I think one more round of editing would have done the book wonders. Even with its flaws, Blue Bloods took an unoriginal theme and made it original and new, which is always a good thing.

6 out of 10.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

More things are revealed in the other books, which is a good thing because after finishing one I was too busy thinking about what wasn't there to think about what WAS in there.

prophecygirl said...

I've been thinking of reading these, but I wasn't sure. After reading your review, I think I might give them a go!

Bookworm said...

Ohmygosh I can't wait to read this series, it sounds amazing!

chocowafer said...

bloghopping.

i just LOVE how complicated the plot is and how there are so many twists and turns.

you should read the two succeeding books! :) they get more and more exciting.