Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Summary:
Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating, so she vows: no more. She's had one too many bad dates, and has been hurt by one too many bad boys.

It's a personal choice... and soon everybody wants to know about it. It seems that Penny's not the only girl who's tired of the way girls change themselves (most of the time for the worse) in order to get their guys... or the their guys don't really care.

Girls are soon thronging to The Lonely Hearts Club, and Penny finds herself near legendary for her nondating ways - which is too bad, since the leader of The Lonely Hearts Club has found a certain boy she can't help but like...

In The Lonely Hearts Club, debut author Elizabeth Eulberg tells a very funny, very relatable romantic story for anyone who's ever sworn off love and then found it anyway. (from the inside flap)

Review:
I thought this book was really really cute! I've been wanting to read it for so long, mainly because I am a huge Beatles fan (honestly, though, who isn't). But even though everyone loves the Beatles, not that many books are Beatles themed, so that just made The Lonely Hearts Club ten times better. Besides the cute Beatles references, the book is really well-written and adorable. Some of the things Penny and her friends said I rolled my eyes at but it seemed pretty realistic as far as teenagers go. I loved that Penny started a club swearing off boys - I thought the book was really empowering for girls. At first, the club is about not dating boys, but then it turns into a club where girls don't forget about their friends even if they have boyfriends, which I thought was a really positive message. And of course, no book is complete without a little romance, and of course the girl who swears off boys finds one she likes. It was interesting watching Penny trying to work through her feelings of loyalty to the club and then the ones she had for a certain cute boy, but in the end everything works out perfectly.

This review is pretty short and sweet, which is fitting for The Lonely Hearts Club. It was such a cute novel (I know I keep saying that!) and had a really good message for girls. I would recommend it to girls of all ages and especially if you're a Beatles fan. How can you not love a character named Penny Lane?

Rating: 8 out of 10.
FTC: I borrowed this from my library.

2009/Point/285 pages

No comments: