Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Book vs. Movie: Something Borrowed

When I first saw the trailer for Something Borrowed, I knew I had to watch it. I loved the idea of the plot and I loved most of the actors in it: Ginnifer Goodwin, Kate Hudson and John Krasinski. Let me just say that the movie was AWESOME! It was awesome by itself and in terms of how it was translated from the book. I shall explain.

I thought that the movie did such a good job taking the important parts of the novel and translating them to the screen. Obviously things had to be cut, and with only a few minor changes, the plot was left intact. The biggest change came from combining two characters in the book, Ethan and Hillary, into one. This actually made a lot of sense and probably made the script easier to write.

As for the movie by itself, it was adorable. And it was so funny. John Krasinski stole the show basically. He had all the best lines and was just a great actor. He played Ethan, which was a combo of book Hillary and Ethan. It really worked out that way and I liked how they did that.

Ginnifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson were the characters in the book. I think they were perfectly cast and did a great job. And the actor who plays Dex wasn't hard on the eyes. At all. ;)

So I totally recommend Something Borrowed regardless if you have or haven't read the book. It was such a good movie and I can't wait to see it again!

1 comment:

We Heart YA said...

Big fat ditto. Lol. We thought the same things as you about the movie vs. book (particularly in how Ethan stole the show). Was it a bit more comedic than the book? Yes. But that's okay. It's meant to be a chick flick after all, whereas the book has time/space to be more nuanced.

Hope they make Something Blue, because that book was even better!!

KH