Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - 56

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers who like to make lists about books.

Freebie: Top Ten Classic Novels

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
This is probably my favorite classic! It's on the long side but it's a very interesting and well-written story. There's even a forbidden romance!

2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I know this is the quintessential romance novel but it's the beginning of it all! I love Mr. Darcy, as well.

3. Macbeth by William Shakespeare
I think Shakespeare is wonderful and this is definitely one of his top plays. I love all the court intrigue and plotting.

4. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
No matter what kind of reader you are, many people cite this as one of their favorite books (my sister included!). It's surprisingly easy to read and the story is timeless.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Just like with some of the other books on this list, many people love To Kill a Mockingbird and I do as well!

6. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
It's so long but if you have the stamina I would definitely recommend Gone With the Wind for fans of historical fiction!

7. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
I absolutely adore the movie and the book is just as good!

8. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
This one doesn't get much love but it's such a good book. It's short and fairly easy to read, and also features a forbidden romance.

9. The Cather in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Another fan favorite - I had to include it on my list.

10. The Diary of Anne Frank
I read this in 8th grade (so long ago) but I remember really enjoying it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting list. My favorite book ever is Pride and Prejudice.

I actually don't really like The Great Gatsby.

Anya @ On Starships and Dragonwings said...

Good choice! I don't read enough classics, I think I got oversaturated when I was in high school :(

I chose Top Ten books from NPR's Sci-fi and Fantasy list and I'm a new follower :D