Friday, March 22, 2013

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Summary:
It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. (from GoodReads)


Review:
When I first heard that there was a sequel to If I Stay, I mistakenly thought that it was a retelling of the first novel from Adam's point-of-view. So I was surprised to hear that it's set in the future ... and Adam and Mia aren't together!

Even though we only get a glimpse of Adam and Mia's relationship in If I Stay, I still thought they were great together. I was even more curious now and wanted to see what happened to the loving couple I had read about before. Luckily for the readers, many questions are answered, like what happened after Mia woke up? Did she go to Julliard? Why did Adam and Mia break up? Will they get back together? The story is told in the present tense, and there are many flashbacks, both before and after the accident. I enjoyed reading about the evolution of their relationship, along with the personal lives of both Mia and Adam. It's especially interesting seeing Adam as a world famous rock star!

I know that some people will be annoyed by Adam as he is extremely whiny in the beginning. When he recounts his reaction to Mia leaving him, it's pretty sad. There's depression and anger and his emotions seem to be over the top. While I get that that would be annoying, I didn't mind too much. I was too engrossed in the overall story and writing to worry about some of the details.

Overall, I really enjoyed Where She Went. I love revisiting these characters to see what they've been up to and I think it's a great sequel to an already wonderful story.

Rating: 9 out of 10.
FTC: borrowed from the library.

2011/Dutton Juvenile/264 pages.

1 comment:

We Heart YA said...

Glad you liked it! We were actually not annoyed by Adam at all (though, like you, we can see why maybe some people would be) and in fact our group is split in half between who prefers IF I STAY more or WHERE SHE WENT. That's the power of Gayle Forman, we suppose. Hehehe. Speaking of which, we totally need to get our hands on JUST ONE DAY...