Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut

Howard J. Campbell, Jr. was a war propagandist in Nazi Germany during World War II. Now he's being charged with war crimes and is held prisoner in Israel. But is he really guilty? The novel is written like a memoir in which Kurt Vonnegut twists our views of right and wrong.

This was my choice summer reading book, and now that I've read it, I wish I didn't choose it. The book is a memoir of a fictional character, so the story isn't linear and jumps around a lot. This makes the plot confusing. I also felt like I was missing out on some of the irony, because I didn't live through WWII. I was frustrated that I wasn't getting the entire meaning of the book and that's bad since this was a summer reading book. I wouldn't suggest this book, but I would recomment reading God Bless You, Dr. Krevorkian, which was very good.
4 out of 10

No comments: