Monday, August 18, 2008

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Most guys have a "type." They like girls with blonde hair or who play sports or anything, really. Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. He's even dated nineteen of them. After the last Katherine dumps him--K-19-- he decides to take a road trip with his best friend to perfect his "Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability" in which he hopes to predict the outcome of any relationship. Settling in Tennessee for the summer, Colin learns a lot about relationships and the unpredictability of the future.

So this novel has a bit of background to it. A few years ago I was looking through the shelves at my library for a book to read. I came across this one, read the inside flap, and decided not to read it. After I read Looking For Alaska and saw that the same author wrote both of these books, I decided to read An Abundance of Katherines. I have to say, I was a little disappointed. I heard that this book was better than Looking For Alaska, and I would have to disagree completely. Not that this book was bad, it just didn't have that "wow" factor that Alaska did. Almost three-fourths of the way through this book, I started to get bored and I think it's the uncanny similarities between the books: a male protagonist with an unusual hobby (Miles likes famous last words and Colin likes anagramming), a funny best friend, and the untouchable girl. I would recommend reading this book, just be wary, and definitely read Looking For Alaska.

6 out of 10.
*With this review I made my debut over at Genre of the Month. This month's genre is Male Protagonist. Visit http://genreofthemonth.blogspot.com/ to check it out!

No comments: