Friday, April 15, 2011

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Summary:

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. When the rules that have kept Aislinn safe from them stop working, everything is suddenly on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first century faery tale. (from back cover)

Review:

Faery books are a popular subgenre of fantasy, but I haven't read too many of this type, so they are still new and exciting to me. Wicked Lovely was a nice addition to the genre, and I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

The summary is very vague, but I loved the plot of Wicked Lovely. Aislinn has seen faeries her whole life and it's a skill that she keeps hidden for a very good reason. Faeries don't like it when humans can see them, so Aislinn has always kept her distance. But when two start following her around and Aislinn discovers why, her view on the faery world changes.

Aislinn was probably my favorite character in the novel. She was really brave and strong, and once she knew what the faeries wanted, she decides to negotiate with them. Gotta love a girl who knows what she wants. Her best-friend-turned-something-more, Seth, was also an integral part of Wicked Lovely. I loved reading the relationship between the two of them because he is such a sweetheart and didn't even flinch when Aislinn tells him she can see faeries.

There's a lot of court intrigue and powerful monarchs in Wicked Lovely, which I really enjoyed reading about. Hand me a book about kings and queens and their subjects and I'll be content. The pacing was good, the detailing was good and I have to say that Wicked Lovely was a pretty solid book. If you like fantasy, or specifically, faeries, you should put this on your to read list.


Rating: 7.5 out of 10.
FTC: won in a contest.


2007/Harper Teen/328 pages.

1 comment:

Jessica B said...

Can you believe I haven't read this yet?! I'm such a freak. Glad you liked it.