Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fracture by Megan Miranda

Summary:
Delaney Maxwell's survival is a miracle. She fell into an icy lake and was underwater for eleven minutes. Most people die from lack of oxygen after five, but Delaney was rescued and remained in a coma for six days. When she awoke, she had little to no brain damage, which is extremely rare. However, even though the doctors can't see it, Delaney knows there's something wrong with her. She starts to feel an inexplicable pull towards certain people. People who are dying...

Review:
I really enjoyed Fracture. The concept is extremely original, which is what drew me to the book. It reminded me a little of The Body Finder, except that Delaney is attracted to dying people rather than dead bodies. I don't know what I would do if I had such a morbid power, but luckily the two girls in these books are capable and able to deal with their problems, for the most part.

There are also a lot of themes in Fracture that resounded with me: survivor's guilt, parenting extremes, death, love, and even hope. As I was reading, I connected with Delaney and could feel all of her emotions, which shows how effectively the author was able to convey them to the readers. But, like I mentioned before, there were a lot of themes and plot points which made the book seem a little rushed. I wish it was longer so there was more time to develop some of the aforementioned themes. There was so much shoved into the book, it was a little overwhelming.

I loved the relationship between Delaney and Decker. I'm always a sucker for relationships that start out as friendship and then grow into romance,which is what happened in Fracture. It was all good until Megan Miranda had to throw in another love interest, Troy. He was an...interesting character; you'll see what I mean when you read the book.

Even with this minor fault of being too short, I still really enjoyed Fracture and can't wait to see what else this author writes.

Rating: 9 out of 10.
FTC: Flamingnet Books Reviews.
Release Date: today!

2012/Walker & Company/264 pages.

No comments: