Thursday, January 19, 2012

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Summary:
Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.

So much for normal. (from GoodReads)

Review:
Hmm, we have another middle book in a trilogy. Unfortunately, Supernaturally also suffers from the middle book syndrome that can be found with many other trilogies and series. I find myself giving passes to books that aren't that good when they are the middle book. I'm going to address all authors: work on fixing this! I don't know if is the inherent nature of a middle book or something else, but I think we can beat this disease!

That being said, I still liked Supernaturally; I just don't think it was as good as Paranormalcy. I liked seeing Evie is a normal setting (if that's possible). In this book, she goes to school, she lives in the real world, goes to work and has a boyfriend. Speaking of Lend, he was a little blah this book. I like his character but I'm going to attribute his boringness to the fact that he wasn't in the book that much.

A new character named Jack is introduced in Supernaturally, and he is very interesting. Jack is Evie's somewhat sidekick/partner-in-crime. I started out not liking him, learned to like him, and then didn't like him by the end. If you've read this, you know why. I'm still curious about him, though, so I hope he shows up in the next book.

There are a lot of discoveries about Evie's past and her unknown backstory. I was a little unimpressed but I'm looking forward to learning more in Endlessly and I hope it gets more interesting. In Supernaturally, I found myself more drawn to Evie's voice and wonderful narration rather than the storyline. I think this a symptom of middle book syndrome. But since I really do like this trilogy so far, I'll try not to let that affect my opinion too much.

Rating: 7 out of 10.
FTC: borrowed from library.

2011/HarperTeen/336 pages.

No comments: