Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - 27

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers who like to make lists about books.

Top Ten Books that Were Totally Deceiving

1. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Why: genre
I thought that this series would have a lot of fantasy but it’s really more of an alternate medieval world. There are a few fantastical creatures, such as dragons, but not enough to be actually classified as fantasy.

2. The Pledge by Kimberly Derting
Why: title
For this one the title is super deceptive. Whenever I hear the word “pledge” I think of fraternities/sororities or a promise. Nothing in the book relates to either of those two things.

3. This One Time with Julia by David Lampson
Why: synopsis
This book sounds like it’s going to be a great mystery but it’s not at all. Besides the terrible plot, a dead character comes right out and tells the protagonist who the killer is!

4. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
Why: the zombies
This was the first zombie book I’ve ever read and I was afraid I wasn’t going to like it. Luckily for me I LOVED it!!

5. Jenna and Jonah’s Fauxmance by Emily Franken and Brendan Halpin
Why: my expectations
I thought this would be very interesting: a celebrity couple who is pretending to be in love for the publicity. Unfortunately the execution wasn’t that great.

6. Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Why: the cover
I was expecting a serious paranormal book because the cover is a little dark but instead it was much lighter and funnier than I expected.

7. Glimmerglass by Jenna Black
Why: my expectations
I’m not the biggest fan of fantasy and at the beginning I didn’t like Glimmerglass. But by the end I was ready for more books!

8. The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima
Why: the protagonist
I don’t read many books with male protagonists but I really should! This book was great and it was narrated by a guy.

9. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson
Why: the time period
For some reason I was expecting the book to take place during the Victorian era (when Jack the Ripper actually reigned). Instead the book is present day.

10. My Beating Teenage Heart by C.K. Kelly Martin
Why: the tone
The only other book I’ve read by this author is The Lighter Side of Life and Death which, as you can guess by the title, pretty light. I was expecting the same but this novel is a lot more serious.

1 comment:

Kristilyn (Reading in Winter) said...

Great picks! I loved that The Name of the Star was in present day, rather than Victorian. I think I may have been expecting that, too!

The Forest of Hands and Teeth looks really good ... I'm not totally into zombies, but those books look like they may change my mind!