Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book vs. Movie: Revolutionary Road


This Book vs. Movie will be a little different than previous ones, because this is the first time I've done one after watching the movie first and then reading the book. I think that you always like whatever you see first best, so on this one I'll have to say I like the movie better.

For those who don't know, Revolutionary Road is about a couple, Frank and April Wheeler, who think that greatness is right around the corner. Even though they seem like the typical suburban couple, they are convinced that they are better than everyone else and have life figured out. It turns out, they don't. It's similar to The Great Gatsby in that it's a story about the disillusionment of the American dream during the 1950's.

When I first saw the movie, I loved it. It's one of my favorites, if not my all-time favorite movie (and that's saying something because it's hard for me to pick favorites). It features two amazing actors: Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. They did a terrific job and really brought the characters to life. I think I like the movie better because I like the visual aspect of this story and watching Leo and Kate made it way better.

The book, though, does of course go into more detail. You learn about April's childhood and supposedly it affected the way she acts now. According to my film teacher in high school, in the book you sympathize with April and in the movie you sympathize with Frank, based on the way the story is told. But in both cases I sympathazed with Frank more. It also helps that the book is told from his point-of-view, so you see everything through his eyes.

All in all, I would whole-heartedly recommend both the book and movie for your reading and viewing pleasure. Both are extraordinary pieces of art and you won't be disappointed.

No comments: