Saturday, January 5, 2013

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Summary:
A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love—with a human—in this astonishingly original debut novel.

R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn’t enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Not just another zombie novel, Warm Bodies is funny, scary, and deeply moving. (from GoodReads)


Review:
My friend told me about Warm Bodies before I even saw the trailer and she let me borrow her copy. Once I saw the trailer, I knew I wanted to read this! The trailer makes the movie look really funny. I didn't think the book version of Warm Bodies was quite as humorous, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I've read a lot of zombie books but never one from the zombie's perspective, making Warm Bodies very original and unique. I liked that this wasn't a scary book, because we get to see R's point-of-view, and how he has to eat humans to survive. The zombies in Warm Bodies aren't how they are depicted in many other books and movies. These zombies have a stream of consciousness, though they can't really talk and don't remember anything from their human lives.

Once R meets and kidnaps Julie (a human), everything begins to change. He can talk more and becomes more human. I liked the relationship between Julie and R and it was cute to see him care about her and try to resist his zombie urges.

Apparently everything in Warm Bodies alluded to Romeo and Juliet, which totally flew over my head. I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that I'm on break and my mind isn't in thinking mode. But according to reviewers on GoodReads, R is Romeo, Julie is Juliet, M is Mercutio, etc. I must say, it makes a lot of sense!

I liked Warm Bodies but I have a feeling I'm going to like the movie a lot better. It looks funnier and just very well put together. If you want to see the movie, I would recommend reading the book first!

Rating: 7 out of 10.
FTC: borrowed from a friend.

2010/Atria/239 pages.

2 comments:

We Heart YA said...

Ooo, we didn't know this was a zombie retelling of Romeo & Juliet -- how clever!! That makes us love it and want to read it even more. And after seeing those HILARIOUS trailers, trust us, we are already DYING to read/see this.

Thanks for writing such a great review!

Anonymous said...

Romeo and Juliet, huh? Well, I have not read that much of it, but have not seen the similarity. I am a bit of a light weight when it comes to gore. I know that it isn't that bad, but for some reason it is harder for me to read than to watch. I guess it is the description.
Thanks for the great review.