Friday, January 10, 2014

Book vs. Movie: Warm Bodies

So I originally read Warm Bodies because my friend bought a copy of it in order to read the book before the movie came out. She's like me: you gotta read the book first! So I read it around a year ago and just saw the movie now!

I thought that Warm Bodies was a cute movie. The book was fun: not super exciting or deep, but a good read nonetheless. What was neat about the movie and book was that it was about zombies but was very light-hearted, so it's good for those who don't like a lot of gore or horror. The author attempted a cool twist on the traditional zombie lore: what if zombies still had some consciousness left and what if they could be cured? You'll see the answer to that question if you watch the movie!

I thought that the actors Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer did a great job. I was disappointed to see the character of Nora whitewashed, though. Analeigh Tipton did well in the role but it would have been nice to see a POC in the part as it was originally written.

The book Warm Bodies isn't long, but the movie did feel a little rushed, especially since it was only about 90 minutes. If you haven't read the book it might seem fine, but to me it felt very quick. That might also be due to the fact that I recently saw the three hour The Wolf of Wall Street. Anything will feel fast in comparison.

So the movie was cute and fans of the book should definitely check it out.

1 comment:

We Heart YA said...

Glad to hear it was cute! It's still one we want to watch.

We just blogged about a YA-book-to-movie too: The Book Thief!

http://www.weheartya.com/2014/01/need-more-tissues-aka-my-experience.html