Sunday, January 26, 2014

Shadows in the Silence by Courtney Allison Moulton

Summary:
Your strength in heart and hand will fall. . . .
Ellie knows that the darkest moments are still to come, and she has everything to fight for:

She must fight for Will.
The demonic have resorted to their cruelest weapons to put Will in mortal danger, and Ellie makes an unlikely alliance to save him and to stop Lilith and Sammael, who seek to drown the world in blood and tear a hole into Heaven.

She must fight for humanity.
As the armies of Hell rise and gather for the looming End of Days, Ellie and her band of allies travel to the world’s darkest and most ancient regions in her quest to come into her full glory as the archangel Gabriel.

And Ellie must save herself.
Her humanity withers beneath the weight of her cold archangel power, but Ellie must hold tight to who she is and who she loves as she prepares for the ultimate battle for Heaven and Earth.

In this final installment in the Angelfire trilogy, Courtney Allison Moulton brings her dark world of epic battles and blistering romance to a blazing bright conclusion. (From GoodReads)


Review:
I am such a bad reader because this is one of my favorite trilogies and yet I've waited almost a year to read the conclusion. Luckily for me I finally got my hands on a copy of Shadows in the Silence and really enjoyed it!

This is probably strange, but I think I liked the second book in this trilogy the best, which never happens. That's not saying I didn't like this one; I absolutely adored the three books, but I wasn't quite as impressed with Shadows in the Silence as I was in the first two. I'm not even sure why - taste is fickle I suppose.

Even so, Shadows in the Silence picks up right where Wings of the Wicked left off. And it's a good thing too, because the last book left off on a major cliffhanger. Ellie continues to be the fierce warrior that we all love and this time the stakes are even higher because she's trying to save the world from demons. I just love how strong she is and how she's capable of taking on all sorts of supernatural creatures. It might be because she's the archangel Gabriel, but human Ellie is pretty awesome herself. The blending of these two characters was really interesting and made for a fascinating dynamic. She's human and angelic, so she's gets the best of both worlds: strength and compassion.

Ellie's relationship with Will remains one of the highlights of the series. I love how much they love each other and how developed their romance is. It makes sense, because Will and Ellie have know each other for hundreds of years. No insta-love here, my friends.

Even though so much has happened in the Angelfire trilogy, there are still surprises to be had in this novel. The book is exciting, action-packed and even a little funny. Ellie becomes closer to the demonic reaper Cadan and his character growth is great. I liked how his side of the love triangle kind of snuck up on us and wasn't as in your face as other ones. But I also liked that it was never going to be a true love triangle, because everyone (including Cadan) knows that Will and Ellie are meant to be. The ending will surprise you, but I loved it all the same.

I'm so glad I finally got a change to finish this trilogy. It's definitely one of my favorites that everyone should read!

Rating: 10 out of 10.
FTC: Christmas gift.

2013/Katherine Tegen Books/469 pages.

No comments: