Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

17254055Summary:
Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.
 
At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out. (from GoodReads)
 
Review:
I immensely enjoyed Ruby Red when I first read it so I was super excited to continue on with the trilogy. Luckily for me, Sapphire Blue was just as good as the first book.
 
Time travel is always tricky to execute (right now I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife and I'm pretty confused) but I think Kerstin Gier does a good job of writing it and having it make sense. It helps that Gwen and Gideon travel really far in the past, so they don't have to worry about meeting themselves. Their mission is a little confusing, especially since it's been a few months since I've been in this world. But Gwen and Gideon are trying to find their cousins who are hiding in the past with an important artifact.
 
What I don't like is that the events of these two books have taken place over the period of a week. That's a short amount of time for two whole books to be written about. It makes sense since the character are traveling in time, but it also makes character development tricky. Gwen and Gideon have a bit of a romance going but these characters have only known each other a week! So when the "I love you's" start coming out I get confused. Even though it feels like much longer, Gwen and Gideon should not be this serious. That's my one qualm about these books.
 
Even so, Sapphire Blue is still a fun read, especially since the characters are so funny. It's nice to get some humor in there. I do like the romance, even though it's a little rushed. I can't wait to see how everything wraps up in Emerald Green.
 
Rating: 8 out of 10.
FTC: borrowed from the library.
 
2012/Henry Holt/362 pages.

No comments: