Sunday, April 26, 2009

The One by Ed Decter

Chloe Gamble, beauty pageant queen of Spurlock, Texas, will do anything to be famous. That's why she moves to LA with her mom and brother, with only the clothes on her back. She doesn't have any training in acting and doesn't really know the ins and outs of Hollywood. At least, not yet. After Chloe gets kicked out of an audition at NBC, she's sure that her acting days are over. But word spreads about Chloe's stunt, and she becomes infamous almost overnight. You know what they say: there is no such thing as bad publicity.

I was really surprised by this book. The summary on the back cover was really short and vague, so I had no idea what The One was about. But it ended up being really interesting. I liked learning about Hollywood and the fact that the author works in the show business industry as a writer and producer made the story more realistic. Some of the things Chloe did were a little unbelievable, but the author's background lends more credibility to the things that happened. I thought Chloe was a great character: driven and hard-working, slightly manipulative to get what she wanted, but didn't lose herself in Hollywood. The One was an entertaining read and could be very informative for anyone looking to become an actor. The sequel, VIP Lounge, will be released in December and I can't wait to see what happens next.

7 out of 10.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great cover! Excellent review!

Unknown said...

I thought this was a pretty okay read :) I learned a lot from it surprisingly, I just never thought about what goes on
"behind the scenes"

Silvia said...

I love the cover, it really calls you to read the summary.


You have a present at my blog.