Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - 92

Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish for bloggers who like to make lists about books.



Top Ten Words/Topics That Make Me Not Pick Up a Book

1. High Fantasy - I'm really not a big fantasy person, but if it's done right I love it (aka Harry Potter). So the plot has to sound extremely intriguing for me to pick up a book that's set in an alternate world.

2. Poetry/Verse - I don't like poetry that much so when a book is written in verse I definitely shy away from it. I have read some great novels written in this style but it's still something I avoid.

3. Non-Fiction - I just really enjoy reading fiction and have no interest in non-fiction most of the time.

4. Religion - I'm not a religious person so I'm not looking for a book to preach to me. There are books that deal with religion in an intelligent manner that I love (The Opposite of Hallelujah and A Prayer For Owen Meany come to mind) but as a whole I don't like this topic. 

5. Self-Harm - Not really a fan of reading about depressing parts of the human psyche and this one is hard to read about. I just want to help the character!

6. Sexual Abuse - Same as the above, too depressing to read about.

7. For Fans of Twilight - If it's like Twilight then I'm probably not going to like it.

8. Eating Disorders - Another "issue" but this one hits close to home for my family and I so I don't need to read about it too.

9. Drug Abuse - Ok, I ran out of ideas so I'm listing all of the ills in our society. I like my books to be happy!

10. Instant love/connection - I absolutely hate "instalove" and when a relationship is not developed. I'm sorry you don't love this character after seeing them for the first time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"If it's like Twilight, then I am probably not going to like it." That line made me laugh. Thanks for making my day!